What is the honeymoon phase exactly? We meet that new person, fall head over heels, and float in bliss…for a few months, perhaps. Then, real life sets in. Join us as we talk with individual and couples’ counselor, Brittany Steckel, about what happens to our bodies and minds at the beginning of a relationship, how attachment styles might impact how we transition into the post-honeymoon phase, and the role of novelty in keeping the spark. Tracy shares how she values a growth mindset in a partner where deep conversations, even on day one, can help them learn about themselves and each other. Corey’s less organic tactic, instead resembling a well-orchestrated lesson plan on emotional intelligence, shows up as conversations about the day’s “highlights and lowlights” over dinner every night. Regardless of how they go about it, both believe that establishing an emotional depth at the onset is what can make a relationship loving and sustainable well after the honeymoon phase ends.
- Indian Matchmaking-Check out the show and Netflix and learn more about modern-day arranged marriages.
- 8 Dates-Learn about 8 critical conversations to have with your partner.
- Attachment Styles Quiz-Find out about your attachment style through the quiz and website.
- Emotion-Focused Therapy-Learn about how emotion-focused therapy can help in developing emotional awareness.
- Brittany Steckel-Learn more about Brittany and her work at steckelfamilytherapy.com.
- Email Brittany at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check out these articles that inform Brittany’s work.
- After the honeymoon: Neural and genetic correlates of romantic love in newlywed marriages: Acevedo, B. P., Poulin, M. J., Collins, N. L., & Brown, L. L. (2020). Frontiers Psychology, 11, Art. 634.
- “A Diamond Is Forever” and other fairy tales: The relationship between wedding expenses and marriage duration: Francis‐Tan, A., & Mialon, H. M. (2015). Economic Inquiry, 53, 1919-1930.
- What physiological changes can explain the honeymoon phase of a relationship? Lewandowski, G. W., Jr. (2013). Scientific American, 24(4), 72.
- PREPARE-ENRICH program: Overview and new discoveries about couples: Olson, D. H., Olson, A. K., & Larson, P. J. (2012). Journal of Family & Community Ministries, 25, 30-44.
- Making a case for premarital education: Stanley, S. M. (2001). Family Relations, 50, 272-280.